5 Things to Know About Tea
Hide Video Transcript
SPEAKERTea -- it's not just for jolly ol' chaps like this guy. It's actually the most popular drink in the world after water, so lots of us love it! Here are five things you need to know about tea.
1. Every type of tea is made from the leaves of one plant, Camellia sinensis. All that variety, from one evergreen! You can choose from black tea, green, white, dark, oolong, herbal -- actually, scratch herbal. That comes from other plants, so it's not really tea.
2. You're making it wrong! Probably. If you microwave it, then definitely. The keys to a quality cup? Boil cold tap water, pour it over a tea bag or 1 teaspoon of loose leaves. Then, let it steep for 3-5 minutes, depending on the blend. Check the instructions!
3. Tea isn't just for drinking. It's also used to flavor food, clean hardwood floors, dye fabric, and much more. You can even ease puffy under-eyes with cool, wet teabags.
4. The world's biggest tea drinkers live in Turkey. In recent years, they've been downing about 7 pounds per person annually. Compare that to just half a pound per person in the U.S.!
5. Tea's probably not as healthy as you think. It's got caffeine to perk you up and some antioxidants, but it probably won't work wonders for your well-being.
And now you've got some tasty tidbits to share with your friends next tea time.
Countdown: Tips for a Safe, Summer BBQ
One-Food Wonder: Watermelon
One Food Wonder: Pineapple
Video of Chai Latté Recipe
Video on Food: Roasted Cauliflower Dip
A Healthier Baked Nachos Recipe
Video on the Health Benefits of Sweet Potatoes
Goji Berries: One-Food Wonder
Video: Spooky “Monster Mash” Smoothie Bowl Recipe
Halloween-Themed Mummy Treats Recipe
Video on Harmful Popcorn Chemicals
An Eco-Friendly Way to Freshen Your Garbage Disposal