This is a quick dish you can make for breakfast, brunch, or even a weeknight dinner. You may already have all the ingredients in your refrigerator!
- In a 9-inch nonstick skillet, cook the onion and bell pepper with salt and pepper to taste in 2 teaspoons of oil over medium heat, stirring often, until the bell pepper is tender (about 3 minutes).
- In a mixing bowl, beat or whisk together the eggs, egg substitute, and cheese. Add the bell pepper mixture and beat or whisk until well combined.
- Start heating the 9-inch skillet again over medium heat until hot.
- Coat the pan generously with canola cooking spray and quickly pour in the egg mixture, distributing the bell pepper evenly. While it begins to cook, arrange tomato slices decoratively on top, then sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon of Italian seasoning on top. Cover the skillet and cook (without stirring) for about 6 minutes, or until the frittata is set and bottom is nicely brown.
- If desired, broil the frittata under a preheated broiler, about 4 inches from the heat, for 2 minutes, to lightly brown the top. Let cool in the skillet for 5 minutes. Slide the frittata onto a serving plate, cut into wedges, and serve it warm or at room temperature.