A Medicare Cost Plan is a type of Medicare plan available in some areas. It is very similar to Medicare Advantage.
In a Medicare Cost Plan:
- You can join even if you only have Part B.
- If you have Part A and Part B and go to a non-network provider, the services are covered under original Medicare. You would be responsible for applicable coinsurance and deductible.
- You can join anytime the plan is accepting new members.
- You can leave anytime and return to original Medicare.
- You can either get your prescription drug coverage through a Medicare Cost Plan, if it's offered, or you can join a Medicare Prescription Drug Plan (called Part D).
Another type of Medicare Cost Plan only provides coverage for Part B services.
Beginning in 2019, Medicare Cost plans cannot operate in areas with substantial competition from Medicare Advantage plans. This “competition clause” reduces the number of Medicare Cost plans available.