If Your Workplace Drops Your Health Insurance: FAQ

Medically Reviewed by Sarah Goodell on September 16, 2021

If your employer drops your health coverage or you lose your job, you have options for finding new insurance. Here are some answers to frequently asked questions.

Can I sign up for COBRA if my employer stops offering health insurance?

No. COBRA is a law that lets you keep your company's health insurance if you lose your job. If your company stops offering health insurance, there is no company-sponsored  health plan available for you to continue. In this case, COBRA does not apply. You would need to find a new policy, which you can do through the Marketplaces offered under the Affordable Care Act.

If I lose my job can COBRA help me keep insurance?

Yes. You keep the health plan you had through your job if you're laid off through COBRA. In most cases you can keep it for up to 18 months.

Insurance through COBRA can be expensive. That's because while you were working, your employer was most likely paying part of your premium. Now that you're out of work, you have to pay the whole premium yourself. You will also have to pay an administrative fee that adds to the cost.

If I lose insurance at my job, can I get on my spouse's health plan?

If your spouse has insurance through an employer, you might be able to get on their policy.

Usually employees can only add a spouse or child to a health plan during a few weeks in the year known as open enrollment. But exceptions are made when a family situation changes, such as when a spouse loses health insurance. Ask your spouse to check with a human resources representative at their workplace.

If I lose my job or my workplace drops my insurance, can I get health coverage through my state's Marketplace?

Most likely yes. You can shop for insurance online through the Marketplace. If you lost your job or your employer dropped your insurance, you will qualify for a special enrollment period. You may also qualify for a subsidy to help you purchase insurance, depending on your income. 

You can shop and enroll online at or if you need assistance, you can call a toll-free number to get your questions answered. You can also ask for face-to-face help in your area. To find a location near you, go to

Are there other government plans I may qualify for?

Yes. Government programs include:

Medicaid. You can get insurance through Medicaid if you have a low income, you're pregnant or you're disabled. The rules vary by state.

To find out if you qualify and how to apply for Medicaid in your state, visit the insurance and coverage finder on the federal government's web site, You can also visit the Medicaid web site at

CHIP. CHIP stands for Children's Health Insurance Program. Your kids can get insurance through CHIP if your income qualifies. It's meant for families that can't afford private health insurance but make too much money to get Medicaid. Whether you're eligible and how much you pay depends on the state you live in.

To find out about children's coverage programs in your state, visit the insurance and coverage finder on You can also get more information on the federal government web site called

Medicare. If you're age 65 or older or are disabled, you may be eligible for coverage from Medicare, the government health program for seniors and people with disabilities. 

To find out if you qualify for Medicare, visit You can also use the government's Medicare Plan Finder to get cost estimates and coverage information and get information on private Medicare plans, called Medicare Advantage plans.

Show Sources


Robert Wood Johnson Foundation: "State-Level Trends in Employer-Sponsored Health Insurance: A State-by-State Analysis." "Large business;" "Insurance options;" "Young adult coverage;" "Medicaid;" "Children's health insurance program;" "Medicare;" and "About the health insurance marketplace."

Health Insurance 101: "Continuation of coverage (COBRA)."

U.S. Department of Labor: "COBRA continuation health coverage."

Kaiser Family Foundation, "Explaining health care reform: Questions about health insurance exchanges."

U.S. Dept. of Labor: "COBRA Continuation Coverage."

© 2021 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved. View privacy policy and trust info