April 24, 2000 (Bethesda, Md.) -- Certain factors point to a possible loss of hearing. According to the National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders, you should suspect a problem if:
- You have a problem hearing over the telephone.
- You have to strain to understand conversations.
- You often ask people to repeat themselves.
- Others complain that you turn the television volume too high.
- You have difficulty following the conversation when two or more people are talking.
A consultation with a physician or an audiologist (specialist in testing hearing) can offer options to help you hear what you may be missing.