Can you prevent hepatitis B?
To help keep a hepatitis B infection from spreading:
- Get vaccinated (if you aren’t already infected).
- Use condoms every time you have sex.
- Wear gloves when you clean up after others, especially if you have to touch bandages, tampons, and linens.
- Cover all open cuts or wounds.
- Don’t share razors, toothbrushes, nail care tools, or pierced earrings with anyone.
- Don’t share chewing gum or pre-chew food for a baby.
- Properly sterilize any needles for drugs, ear piercing, or tattoos -- or tools for manicures and pedicures.
- Clean up blood with one part household bleach and 10 parts water.
THIS TOOL DOES NOT PROVIDE MEDICAL ADVICE. It is intended for general informational purposes only and does not address individual circumstances. It is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment and should not be relied on to make decisions about your health. Never ignore professional medical advice in seeking treatment because of something you have read on the WebMD Site. If you think you may have a medical emergency, immediately call your doctor or dial 911.
This tool does not provide medical advice. See additional information.