PREVIOUS QUESTION:

 

NEXT QUESTION:

 

Which hepatitis C genotypes are most common?

ANSWER

In the U.S., genotype 1 is the most common. It makes up about 75% of all U.S. cases. The other 25% are mostly genotypes 2 or 3. A few Americans may have genotypes 4, 5, or 6. Genotype 4 is most common in Africa while genotype 6 is most common in Southeast Asia.

SOURCES:

American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases: “Initial Treatment of Adults with HCV Infection,” “HCV Guidance: Recommendations for Testing, Managing, and Treating Hepatitis C.”

CDC: “Hepatitis C Questions and Answers for the Public.”

Infohep.org: “Hepatitis C treatment factsheet: Harvoni (sofosbuvir + ledipasvir).”

Hepatitis C Online: “Ledipasvir-Sofosbuvir (Harvoni).”

Merck Manual: “Overview of Chronic Hepatitis.”

The Hepatitis Trust: “HCV Genotypes,” “Hepatitis C Virus (HCV) Diagnostics Fact Sheet,” “Genotypes of hepatitis C,” “Harvoni.”

Treatment Action Group: “Hepatitis C Virus (HCV) Diagnostics Fact Sheet,” “Harvoni Fact Sheet.”

University of Maryland School of Pharmacy: “Transferability Of Economic

Evaluation Studies: Is There A Generally Accepted Alternative Price Benchmark To The Wac Price?”

U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs: “Viral Hepatitis and Liver Disease,” “Chronic Hepatitis C Virus (HCV) Infection: Treatment Considerations.”

Reviewed by Brunilda Nazario on June 01, 2020

SOURCES:

American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases: “Initial Treatment of Adults with HCV Infection,” “HCV Guidance: Recommendations for Testing, Managing, and Treating Hepatitis C.”

CDC: “Hepatitis C Questions and Answers for the Public.”

Infohep.org: “Hepatitis C treatment factsheet: Harvoni (sofosbuvir + ledipasvir).”

Hepatitis C Online: “Ledipasvir-Sofosbuvir (Harvoni).”

Merck Manual: “Overview of Chronic Hepatitis.”

The Hepatitis Trust: “HCV Genotypes,” “Hepatitis C Virus (HCV) Diagnostics Fact Sheet,” “Genotypes of hepatitis C,” “Harvoni.”

Treatment Action Group: “Hepatitis C Virus (HCV) Diagnostics Fact Sheet,” “Harvoni Fact Sheet.”

University of Maryland School of Pharmacy: “Transferability Of Economic

Evaluation Studies: Is There A Generally Accepted Alternative Price Benchmark To The Wac Price?”

U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs: “Viral Hepatitis and Liver Disease,” “Chronic Hepatitis C Virus (HCV) Infection: Treatment Considerations.”

Reviewed by Brunilda Nazario on June 01, 2020

NEXT QUESTION:

How do I find out which hep C genotype I have?

WAS THIS ANSWER HELPFUL

"ALEXA, ASK WEBMD"

THIS TOOL DOES NOT PROVIDE MEDICAL ADVICE. It is intended for general informational purposes only and does not address individual circumstances. It is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment and should not be relied on to make decisions about your health. Never ignore professional medical advice in seeking treatment because of something you have read on the WebMD Site. If you think you may have a medical emergency, immediately call your doctor or dial 911.

    This tool does not provide medical advice. See additional information.