Herbert Benson, MD, is the founding president of the Mind/Body Medical Institute and is the Mind/Body Medical Institute associate professor of medicine at Harvard Medical School.
A graduate of Wesleyan University and the Harvard Medical School, Benson is the author or co-author of more than 170 scientific publications and 10 books:
- The Relaxation Response, 1975
- The Mind/Body Effect, 1979
- Beyond the Relaxation Response, 1984
- Your Maximum Mind, 1987
- The Wellness Book, 1992
- Timeless Healing: The Power and Biology of Belief, 1996
- The Relaxation Response - Updated and Expanded (25th Anniversary Edition), 2000
- The Breakout Principle, 2003
- Mind Over Menopause (in press)
- Mind Your Heart (in press)
More than 4 million copies of his books have been printed in many languages.
Benson is a pioneer in mind/body medicine and in bringing spirituality and healing into medicine. Through his 35+ year career, he defined the relaxation response and continues to lead teaching and research into its effectiveness in counteracting the harmful effects of stress. The recipient of numerous national and international awards, Benson lectures widely about mind/body medicine. His expertise is frequently sought by national and international news media, and he appears in scores of newspapers, magazines, and television programs each year.