What do you need to do before taking your blood pressure?
- Before taking your blood pressure: Find a quiet place. (You will need to listen for your heartbeat.)
- Roll up the sleeve on your left arm or remove any tight-sleeved clothing, if needed. (It's best to take blood pressure from the left arm, if possible.)
- Rest in a chair next to a table for five to 10 minutes. (Your left arm should rest comfortably at heart level.)
- Sit up straight with your back against the chair, legs uncrossed.
- Rest your forearm on the table with the palm of your hand facing up.
THIS TOOL DOES NOT PROVIDE MEDICAL ADVICE. It is intended for general informational purposes only and does not address individual circumstances. It is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment and should not be relied on to make decisions about your health. Never ignore professional medical advice in seeking treatment because of something you have read on the WebMD Site. If you think you may have a medical emergency, immediately call your doctor or dial 911.
This tool does not provide medical advice. See additional information.