How do you prepare for upper and lower GI tests?
Preparation for upper GI or lower GI testing usually includes:
- Following a low-fiber diet for 2-3 days before the test
- Not smoking for 12-24 hours before the test
- Not taking certain medications for up to 24 hours before the test
- Not eating anything for 12 hours before the test
- Taking oral laxatives and an enema the night before the test
THIS TOOL DOES NOT PROVIDE MEDICAL ADVICE. It is intended for general informational purposes only and does not address individual circumstances. It is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment and should not be relied on to make decisions about your health. Never ignore professional medical advice in seeking treatment because of something you have read on the WebMD Site. If you think you may have a medical emergency, immediately call your doctor or dial 911.
This tool does not provide medical advice. See additional information.