Other Conditions With Symptoms Similar to Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Abuse of laxatives or antacids.
- Use of sorbitol or other artificial sweeteners.
- Lactose intolerance.
- Inflammatory bowel disease.
- Malabsorption syndrome, such as celiac disease.
- Tumors of the digestive system.
- Problems with the pancreas.
- Parasitic infestation, especially in people who have traveled to areas with poor sanitation.
- Thyroid disease.
- Diseases of the female reproductive organs, such as endometriosis.
Primary Medical ReviewerE. Gregory Thompson, MD - Internal Medicine
Adam Husney, MD - Family Medicine
Specialist Medical ReviewerArvydas D. Vanagunas, MD - Gastroenterology
Current as ofNovember 20, 2015