When you and your partner see your doctor to talk about problems getting pregnant, it helps to do some planning on the topics you'd like to bring up.
Take this list of questions with you to your appointment. It's a good starting point for a discussion on infertility and ways to treat it.
- Could smoking, alcohol, or stress affect my fertility?
- Could my job or my partner's job contribute to our problems?
- Are there any nonmedical approaches, such as relaxation or meditation techniques, that could improve my chances of getting pregnant?
- Is it important to get an infertility evaluation now, or should we wait a while longer?
- What specific tests would you recommend to diagnose our infertility, and what do they cost?
- What are our treatment options, and how much do they cost?
- How much of the cost of fertility treatments or testing does health insurance typically cover?
- What's the success rate, measured by "live births," for each type of treatment?
- How many procedures like the one you recommend for me has this fertility clinic done, and what's the success rate?
- Can you put us in touch with former patients who had similar treatments?