If you have symptoms of COVID-19, such as a fever, a dry cough, or shortness of breath, you may wonder about getting tested for the coronavirus. Medical professionals can test some people in clinics or hospitals. There are several at-home collection tests that are prescribed by a doctor. These tests allow you to collect the sample at home and send it directly to a lab.
While you may not know for sure if you have it, most people with mild symptoms can recover from COVID-19 on their own at home. You should:
- Rest. It can ease your symptoms and may help you recover faster.
- Stay away from others. Don’t go to work, school, or public places. Try to keep yourself separate from other people in your home.
- Drink plenty of fluids. Dehydration will make your symptoms worse.
- Ask your doctor about over-the-counter medicines that may ease your symptoms.
- If your symptoms get worse, call your doctor or a hospital.
Call your doctor or 911 if you have serious symptoms of COVID-19, such as: