How Can I Prevent Skin Cancer?
If you are at risk for skin cancer, take the following precautions whenever possible:
- Avoid intense sun exposure by staying out of it from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m..
- Outside, wear a hat with a brim, long sleeves, trousers, and sunglasses that block UV radiation.
- Use UPF (Ultraviolet Protection Factor) clothing. Or use Rit Sun Guard Laundry Treatment UV Protectant.
- Use a sunscreen with a sun protection factor (SPF) of 30 or higher whenever you are outside.
- Report suspicious skin lesions to a doctor at once, especially if you have abnormal-looking moles or a family history of melanoma.
- Have a yearly mole check.