What causes somatic symptom disorder?
Experts don't know the exact cause of somatic symptom disorder. Factors that might be involved in the development of the disorder include:
- A history of physical or sexual abuse
- A history of having a serious illness as a child
- A poor ability to express emotions
- A parent or close relative with the disorder. Children might learn this behavior if a parent is overly concerned about disease and/or overreacts to even minor illnesses
- An inherited susceptibility for the disorder
THIS TOOL DOES NOT PROVIDE MEDICAL ADVICE. It is intended for general informational purposes only and does not address individual circumstances. It is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment and should not be relied on to make decisions about your health. Never ignore professional medical advice in seeking treatment because of something you have read on the WebMD Site. If you think you may have a medical emergency, immediately call your doctor or dial 911.
This tool does not provide medical advice. See additional information.