What should I do before my first visit with a mental health therapist?
Before you schedule that first appointment, you may want to research and ask about a potential therapist's:
- Treatment approach and philosophy
- Specialization by age group or particular disorder
- Education, years in practice, licenses, and professional associations
- Fees, lengths of sessions, insurance coverage, policies around missed appointments, and office hours
- Availability in case of an emergency
THIS TOOL DOES NOT PROVIDE MEDICAL ADVICE. It is intended for general informational purposes only and does not address individual circumstances. It is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment and should not be relied on to make decisions about your health. Never ignore professional medical advice in seeking treatment because of something you have read on the WebMD Site. If you think you may have a medical emergency, immediately call your doctor or dial 911.
This tool does not provide medical advice. See additional information.