How can I handle stress with ease?
To cope with stress, start with having realistic expectations and accepting that there are events you cannot control.
Other suggestions include:
Experts agree that coping is a process rather than an event. You might switch between several of these coping strategies in order to handle a stressful event.
- Maintain emotionally supportive relationships
- Maintain emotional composure
- Challenge previously held beliefs that make situations worse
- Directly attempt to change the source of stress
- Distance yourself from the source of stress
- Learn to relax
- Eat and drink sensibly
- Stop smoking or other bad habits
- Exercise regularly
- Maintain a healthy sense of self-esteem
THIS TOOL DOES NOT PROVIDE MEDICAL ADVICE. It is intended for general informational purposes only and does not address individual circumstances. It is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment and should not be relied on to make decisions about your health. Never ignore professional medical advice in seeking treatment because of something you have read on the WebMD Site. If you think you may have a medical emergency, immediately call your doctor or dial 911.
This tool does not provide medical advice. See additional information.