What are the side effects of intravenous steroids?
Are There Side Effects of IV Steroids?
Not everyone experiences side effects from intravenous steroid treatment, but the most common are:
Long-term side effects of steroids may include:
Since steroid use can increase your risk of developing osteoporosis, include more dairy products into your diet while on this therapy. You can also talk with your doctor about calcium supplements with vitamin D.
- Stomach irritation, such as indigestion and heartburn
- Increased energy
- Rapid heartbeat
- Flushing of the face, neck, or chest
- Feeling warm or cool
- Retaining fluid (avoid table salt and salty foods)
- Mood changes (euphoria, irritability, nervousness, restlessness) or mood swings
- Metallic taste in the mouth
- Bone-thinning osteoporosis
- Stomach ulcers
- Weight gain
THIS TOOL DOES NOT PROVIDE MEDICAL ADVICE. It is intended for general informational purposes only and does not address individual circumstances. It is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment and should not be relied on to make decisions about your health. Never ignore professional medical advice in seeking treatment because of something you have read on the WebMD Site. If you think you may have a medical emergency, immediately call your doctor or dial 911.
This tool does not provide medical advice. See additional information.