What problems can dental X-rays detect in adults?
In adults, dental X-rays can be used to:
- Show areas of decay, especially small areas of decay between teeth
- Find decay under an existing filling
- Reveal bone loss that can happen with gum disease
- Show changes in the bone or in the root canal
- Show an abscess (an infection at the root of a tooth or between the gum and a tooth)
- Show other abnormalities, such as cysts and some types of tumors
This tool does not provide medical advice. See additional information.