What problems can dental X-rays detect in adults?
In adults, dental X-rays can be used to:
- Show areas of decay, especially small areas of decay between teeth
- Find decay under an existing filling
- Reveal bone loss that can happen with gum disease
- Show changes in the bone or in the root canal
- Show an abscess (an infection at the root of a tooth or between the gum and a tooth)
- Show other abnormalities, such as cysts and some types of tumors
THIS TOOL DOES NOT PROVIDE MEDICAL ADVICE. It is intended for general informational purposes only and does not address individual circumstances. It is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment and should not be relied on to make decisions about your health. Never ignore professional medical advice in seeking treatment because of something you have read on the WebMD Site. If you think you may have a medical emergency, immediately call your doctor or dial 911.
This tool does not provide medical advice. See additional information.