If you are thinking about hip or knee replacement surgery, here are 10 important questions to ask your doctor.
Deciding whether to have surgery:
- Are there any nonsurgical treatments I can try first? Medicines? Injections? Physical therapy? Crutches or assistive devices?
- How much better can I expect surgery will make me feel? How active will I be able to be?
- What problems could I have after surgery?
- How many of these surgeries have you done?
- How should I prepare my home for after surgery? How much help will I need and for how long?
- How many days will I be in the hospital? What will my pain be like? What kind of pain medicine will I get in the hospital and at home?
- How long can I expect recovery to take?
- What kind of physical therapy will I have to do? Will this be at home or in a facility?
- Is there anything I won't be able to do after surgery?
- How long should my new joint last?