If you are thinking about hip or knee replacement surgery, here are some important questions to ask your doctor.
I have symptoms, and I think I might need a knee or hip replacement.
- Could my symptoms be a sign of osteoarthritis?
- What are the steps to get tested to see if I need a knee or hip replacement?
- What treatments should I try before getting a joint replacement?
- My pain is getting worse. What pain medicine can I take?
- What else can I do to ease my symptoms?
My doctor and I have discussed joint replacement, and this is a follow-up visit.
- Even though I take medicine, I’m still in pain. Can I safely increase my dose, or should I try a different pain medicine?
- What should I do to get ready for surgery?
- Should I try to lose weight?
- Can the surgery be done robotically?
- Would complementary approaches like massage or acupuncture help?
- What should I expect after joint replacement surgery?
I am planning on knee or hip replacement, but I’m sick or having problems.
- Could my symptoms mean my joint damage is getting worse?
- My pain limits what I can do every day. Do I need a different pain reliever?
- Will surgery relieve all my pain?
- How long after surgery till I can get back to my normal activities?
- Is there anything I can do before surgery to speed my recovery?
Deciding whether to have surgery:
- Are there any nonsurgical treatments I can try first? Medicines? Injections? Physical therapy? Crutches or assistive devices?
- What can I expect if I choose not to have surgery?
- What is the implant made of?
- Will my implant set off metal detectors?
- How much better can I expect surgery will make me feel? How active will I be able to be?
- What problems could I have after surgery?
- How many of these surgeries have you done?
- How should I prepare my home for after surgery? How much help will I need and for how long?
- Do I need to change or stop any of my medications before surgery?
- How long do you think my surgery will last?
- How many days will I be in the hospital? What will my pain be like? What kind of pain medicine will I get in the hospital and at home?
- How long can I expect recovery to take?
- How long before I can climb stairs?
- How long before I can drive?
- What kind of physical therapy will I have to do? Will this be at home or in a facility?
- Is there anything I won't be able to do after surgery?
- How long should my new joint last?