Packed with vegetables, beans and spices, this zesty, healthy vegetarian chili recipe is loaded with protein from textured vegetable protein, also known as TVP. We like the combination of okra, corn, tomatoes and beans, but feel free to use your favorites, such as peas, carrots or mushrooms. Using whole-grain bulgur adds fiber and helps bulk up portion size, making this vegetarian chili hearty and satisfying. After all the ingredients are added to the pot, we like to slowly simmer our chili for close to an hour to develop the best flavor, but if you’re in a hurry, reduce the liquid by half and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add TVP, onion and garlic. Cook, stirring, until the onion starts to soften, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add okra and corn and cook, stirring occasionally, until the okra is starting to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add bulgur, chili powder, paprika, cumin, garlic powder, ground chipotle pepper, cayenne and salt and cook, stirring, until aromatic, 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Stir in tomatoes, kidney beans and black beans, then pour in broth and water; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer, partially cover the pot and cook, stirring occasionally, until the liquid is reduced and thickened and the TVP and bulgur are tender, about 50 minutes.