Every year, over 1 million people are diagnosed with cancer. Detecting it earlier with a cancer screening or blood test gives everyone a better chance of conquering the disease.
UT Southwestern Medical Center is devoted to helping you learn everything you need to know about prevention, detection, and treatment. The first step is to get a screening. When you know what you’re looking for and have a plan, that’s how you conquer cancer.
Below are recommended screenings for detecting and preventing several types of cancer:
- For women at risk for breast cancer, the best and most effective screening tool is mammography.
- A colonoscopy screening will detect precancerous lesions early, which will help stop colorectal cancer from developing.
- Smoking is widely known to lead to lung cancer as well as many other types of cancer. Because of this we offer a Smoking Cessation Clinic to help you kick your addiction and habit.
- Genetic testing is also a valuable tool for those with an inherited risk of cancer. We can test your genes and develop a plan of action suited solely for you.
- Hepatitis C is the leading cause of liver cancer in the U.S. and Texas. We offer a screening program for anyone at high risk for hepatitis C and liver cancer. Detecting either disease and receiving treatment is highly effective in preventing liver cancer in the future.
- An HPV (human papillomavirus) vaccine can prevent six different types of cancer from ever developing. Children should be vaccinated between the ages of 11 and 12 in order to prevent a future of cancers and infections.
Cancer screening and prevention. You don’t have to talk about it. You don’t have to think about it. You just do it. It’s that simple. The time is now.
Contact the Cancer Answer Line by calling 833-722-6237 or fill out the form below for more information.
Visit utswmed.org/conqueringcancer to learn more about your options.