PREVIOUS QUESTION:

 

NEXT QUESTION:

 

What are the most common cause of hair loss?

ANSWER

The most common cause of hair loss in both men and women is genetics. In fact, heredity accounts for 95% of all the cases of baldness, also known as alopecia, in this country. The remaining 5% of the cases can be due to a number of things, including diet, stress, illness, and medications.

SOURCES:

American Hair Loss Association: "Hair Loss Treatment."

emedicinehealth.com: "Hair Loss."

American Academy of Dermatology: "Hair loss: Diagnosis, treatment, and outcome."

Cleveland Clinic: "Hair Loss Got You Down? Platelet-Rich Plasma May Regrow It."

Khatu S.  April-June 2014. ,

Reviewed by Stephanie S. Gardner on January 22, 2018

SOURCES:

American Hair Loss Association: "Hair Loss Treatment."

emedicinehealth.com: "Hair Loss."

American Academy of Dermatology: "Hair loss: Diagnosis, treatment, and outcome."

Cleveland Clinic: "Hair Loss Got You Down? Platelet-Rich Plasma May Regrow It."

Khatu S.  April-June 2014. ,

Reviewed by Stephanie S. Gardner on January 22, 2018

NEXT QUESTION:

What can cause hair loss?

WAS THIS ANSWER HELPFUL

THIS TOOL DOES NOT PROVIDE MEDICAL ADVICE. It is intended for general informational purposes only and does not address individual circumstances. It is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment and should not be relied on to make decisions about your health. Never ignore professional medical advice in seeking treatment because of something you have read on the WebMD Site. If you think you may have a medical emergency, immediately call your doctor or dial 911.

    This tool does not provide medical advice. See additional information.

    Other Answers On: