Next Slideshow Title
IMAGES PROVIDED BY:
(1) Plush Studios / the Agency Collection
(2) Anna Webb / WebMD
(3) Steve Gschmeissner / Photo Researchers
(5) Anna Webb / WebMD
(6) Composite image: photo by Image Source, illustration by Peggy Firth and Susan Gilbert for WebMD
(7) Composite image: photo by Alix Minde/PhotoAlto, illustration by 3D4Medical.com
(8) Interactive Medical Media LLC
(9) Rosseforp / The Photolibrary Group
(10) Interactive Medical Media, LLC
(11) All Canada Photos
(13) Still Images / Photographer's Choice
(14) DK Stock
(15) National Geographic Society / Imagestate RF
(16) Emmanuel Faure / The Image Bank
(18) Anna Webb / WebMD
(19) "Color Atlas of Cosmetic Dermatology"; Marc R. Avram, Sandy Tsao, Zeina Tannous, Mathew M. Avram; Copyright 2011 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.
(20) Vladimir Godnik
(21) Steve Pomberg / WebMD
(22) Anna Webb / WebMD
American Academy of Dermatology: "Do You Have Hair Loss or Hair Shedding?" "Hair Loss, Who Gets and Causes," "Alopecia Areata: Diagnosis and Treatment," "Hair Care Products Can Deliver the Goods for Thinning and Textured Hair."
American Academy of Family Physicians: "Hair Loss Overview," “Hair Loss: Causes and Risk Factors.”
American Hair Loss Association: "Women’s Hair Loss: Introduction," "Degree of Hair Loss," "Women’s Hair Loss: Oral Contraceptives," "Women’s Hair Loss: Treatment."
Consumer Reports: "Baldness Remedies."
FDA: "510(k) Summary, Lexington International, LLC LaserComb," "Medical Devices."
Federal Trade Commission.
Hockenbury, D. Psychology, MacMillan, 2002.
International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery: "Hair Loss & Restoration in Women," "Hair Loss and the Hair Growth Cycle."
Medline Plus: "Tinea Capitis."
Schweiger, E. Journal of Drugs in Dermatology, November 2010.
Women's Health.gov: "Polycistic ovary syndrome (PCOS) fact sheet."
Zarei, M. Lasers in Medical Science, published online Dec. 21, 2015.
Reviewed by Stephanie S. Gardner, MD on November 13, 2017
This tool does not provide medical advice. See additional information.
THIS TOOL DOES NOT PROVIDE MEDICAL ADVICE. It is intended for general informational purposes only and does not address individual circumstances. It is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment and should not be relied on to make decisions about your health. Never ignore professional medical advice in seeking treatment because of something you have read on the WebMD Site. If you think you may have a medical emergency, immediately call your doctor or dial 911.
View our slideshows to learn more about your health.