The amount of sleep a person needs depends on many things, including their age. In general:
- Infants (ages 0-3 months) need 14-17 hours a day.
- Infants (ages 4-11 months) need 12-15 hours a day
- Toddlers (ages 1-2 years) need about 11-14 hours a day.
- Pre-school children (ages 3-5) need 10-13 hours a day.
- School-age children (ages 6-13) need 9-11 hours a day.
- Teenagers (ages 14-17) need about 8-10 hours each day.
- Most adults need 7 to 9 hours, although some people may need as few as 6 hours or as many as 10 hours of sleep each day.
- Older adults (ages 65 and older) need 7-8 hours of sleep each day.
- Women in the first 3 months of pregnancy often need several more hours of sleep than usual.