Next Slideshow Title
IMAGES PROVIDED BY:
(1) Leukos Leukos / Photographer’s Choice / Photolibrary
(2) © Solus-Veer / Corbis
(3) Shannon Fagan / Stone / Getty Images
(4) PureStock / ArtLife Images
(5) Ryan McVay / Photodisc / Photolibrary
(6) Copyright © BSIP / Phototake -- All rights reserved.
(7) VEER Florian Franke / Photonica / Getty Images
(8) Naile Goelbasi / Riser / Getty Images
(9) Ronald Hudson / iStockphoto
(11) Chris Schmidt / iStockphoto
(12) Silvie Otte / Photonica
(13) Elizabeth Watt / StockFood Creative / Getty Images
(14) Peter Cade / Riser / Getty Images
(15) Burns / Blend Images / ArtLife Images
American Diabetes Association web site.
American Sleep Association web site.
Cleveland Clinic web site.
National Endocrine and Metabolic Diseases Information Service.
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute.
National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke web site.
National Institutes of Health.
National Sleep Foundation.
New York Times.
News release, Health Behaviors News Service.
Nieca Goldberg, MD, director, NYU Medical Center Women's Heart Program; associate professor, NYU School of Medicine, New York City.
Pray, Steven W. U.S. Pharmacist. 2009.
Rebecca Amaru, MD, clinical instructor of obstetrics and gynecology, Mount Sinai Medical Center, New York City.
Skapinakis, P. Psychosomatic Medicine, May/June 2004.
Reviewed by Jennifer Robinson, MD on February 14, 2018
This tool does not provide medical advice. See additional information.
THIS TOOL DOES NOT PROVIDE MEDICAL ADVICE. It is intended for general informational purposes only and does not address individual circumstances. It is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment and should not be relied on to make decisions about your health. Never ignore professional medical advice in seeking treatment because of something you have read on the WebMD Site. If you think you may have a medical emergency, immediately call your doctor or dial 911.
View our slideshows to learn more about your health.