L-ORNITHINE-L-ASPARTATE Overview Information
L-ornithine-L-aspartate is a chemical made up of the two amino acids ornithine and aspartic acid. Most amino acids are used as building blocks to make protein. But L-ornithine-L-aspartate is not used to make protein. Instead it is broken down in the body to provide ornithine and aspartic acid.
L-ornithine-L-aspartate is most commonly used for reduced brain function in people with advanced liver disease (hepatic encephalopathy). It is also used for athletic performance, cirrhosis, and other conditions, but there is no good scientific evidence to support these uses.
How does it work?
L-ornithine-L-aspartate increases the levels of ornithine and aspartic acid in the body. These amino acids help to reduce levels of a toxic chemical called ammonia in the blood.
Possibly Effective for:
- Reduced brain function in people with advanced liver disease (hepatic encephalopathy). Most research shows that L-ornithine-L-aspartate may reduce symptoms of hepatic encephalopathy in people with a liver disease called cirrhosis. But most of this research is low-quality. And not all people who get hepatic encephalopathy have cirrhosis. L-ornithine-L-aspartate might not help reduce symptoms in people with other causes of hepatic encephalopathy.
- Liver scarring (cirrhosis). Research shows that giving L-ornithine-L-aspartate by mouth or with a needle might reduce the risk of death in people with cirrhosis. But not all research agrees. More research is needed to understand if L-ornithine-L-aspartate can help people with cirrhosis.
- To improve mental performance during exercise.
- Involuntary weight loss in people who are very ill (cachexia or wasting syndrome).
- Wound healing.
- Other conditions.
L-ORNITHINE-L-ASPARTATE Side Effects & Safety
When taken by mouth: L-ornithine-L-aspartate is POSSIBLY SAFE when taken by mouth. No side effects have been reported.
When given by IV: L-ornithine-L-aspartate is POSSIBLY SAFE when given by IV. Nausea, vomiting, cough, muscle cramping, and diarrhea have happened in some people getting injections of L-ornithine-L-aspartate. But these side effects are rare.
Special Precautions & Warnings:Pregnancy and breast-feeding: Not enough is known about the use of L-ornithine-L-aspartate during pregnancy and breast-feeding. Stay on the safe side and avoid use.
The following doses have been studied in scientific research:
- For reduced brain function in people with advanced liver disease (hepatic encephalopathy): 9-18 grams daily for up to 3 months has been used.
- For reduced brain function in people with advanced liver disease (hepatic encephalopathy): 5-40 grams daily for up to 7 days has been used.