My psychiatrist went to a conference at the National Institue for Mental Health where tests had showed that NAC 600 is effective in treating bipolar disroder. I have been on it for 1.5 years and my mood seems pretty stable. In addition I take Lamictal. I had been on lithium for 18 years and my lab tests showed that I had a 50% loss of my kidneys so i needed to discontue a drug that had worked fo...

I'm a 58 year old male who takes bupropion (Wellbutrin generic), lamotrigine (Lamictal) and quetiapine (Seroquel) for major depressive disorder with possibly some form of bipolar or cyclothymic mood swings. After reading numerous reports on the alleged benefits of n-acetylcysteine for bipolar depression, I began taking 2400 mg Vitacost NAC per day in two doses. I have been taking it for more than ...

Kathy | Age: 55-64 | On supplement for 2 to less than 5 years |
9/1/2021
Condition: Acetaminophen poisoning

I have chronic back pain and just recently had a compression fracture in my T6 vertebrae. So with that being said I am taking pain meds with acetaminophen daily. Some days less then others more when I am working. I started taking NAC for my liver and I actually have been feeling better. I also take SamE too which does help with pain too. It has given me a new lease on life. Right before the shut down I bought some extra. How can they sell an amino acid as a drug? This is an outrage and more studies should be done on how it is a possible treatment for Bipolar Disorder!Read More Read Less

Age: 45-54 | On supplement for less than 1 month |
7/25/2021
Condition: Asthma

Side effects for me are intense acid reflux and severe fatigue to the point I almost vomit. Indokt know if it’s because I am on Prednisone as well or if it’s just the NAC for me but this is only using 300mg.

MtnGirl | Age: 55-64 | On supplement for less than 1 month |
5/15/2020
Condition: Chronic bronchitis

Have had chronic cough and painful bronchial symptoms for 5 months after a diagnosis of walking pneumonia. I started NAC about 10 days ago and already have seen vast improvement. I take 500 mg twice a day.

Age: 25-34 | On supplement for 1 to 6 months |
4/23/2020
Condition:

NAC has dramatically reduced the frequency and depth/severity of my distressing OCD obsessive rumination/memories/thoughts. It has truely improved my quality of life with no side-effects and it's quite cheap. I am truely blessed to have been put on it by my psychiatrist. JUST AMAZING!

Marcyr | Age: 45-54 | On supplement for 1 to 6 months |
2/8/2020
Condition: Asthma

I was diagnosed with Asthma in 2007 at 38. I took inhalers and leukotriene inhibitors. But in 2011, I developed insulin resistance. My endo told me to find an alternative to the budesonide-long acting inhaler combo. I noticed azithromycin for sinus infections made me feel better. I came across Dr. Hahns research on infectious asthma. I follow his protocol under my (GP) doctor's supervision. NAC was the key co-adjuvant treatment for the first month and helped clear all the phlegm caused by the herxheimer reaction due to the infection. I take it now on occasion. I no longer have asthma attacks. I only take leukotriene inhibitors for maintenance and the occasional emergency inhaler to avoid exercise induced asthma. I got it doing zumba back then, so my chest may tighten when doing aerobic exercises. I don't want to risk an asthma attach since it is practically in remission and my lung function is well above average for my age. This supplement was key when weaning out the inhaler. I actually did this in the first weeks of the treatment and not at the end. It was so obvious that my asthma was an infection. Sadly, clinical protocols changed and omitted this option with the advent of cortisone in the 60's. I used the NAC made in Ithaca's co-op in NY state.Read More Read Less

Age: 55-64 |
12/21/2018

My memory was extremely poor all my life so as to present me with serious problems managing my life. Therefore, I don't remember why my old naturopath prescribed NAC for me. But I will never stop taking it because within 3 weeks of a daily dose, I began to have recall: I recalled clearly when I had last taken my medications. It had been the day before. I write this many years later and I still remember what my first memory was. Before then, I'd had huge problems with trying to remember if I'd taken my medications. Even the weekly pill boxes didn't work. I'd simply forget to go to them. (This was before ubiquitous cell phones with programmable alarms.) NAC really changed my life. I don't know why it helps my memory or if it would help anyone else's. I use NAC by Integrative Therapeutics, 1 cap/day. I experience no side effects. Maybe this review can help someone else get a new lease on life as it did for me. Because not remembering what happened last week sucks; it feels like life is slipping through your fingers. But not anymore. I remember names, what I did last Sunday, on my last birthday. that makes my life rich. All the best to everyone.Read More Read Less

10/10/2018

NAC has helped me to stop biting my fingernails. The compulsion to bite was drastically reduced almost as soon as I started taking it, and that was enough for me to stop biting completely. I started with 2000mg once a day (as per the instructions on the packet) and have reduced that to 1200mg split into a morning and evening dose. I bought it in powder form (it is actually small crystals and not really a powder) and it took me a while to figure out how best to take it. The method that works for me is that I mix it in warm water and then add a dash of OJ. The warm water is so that it dissolves fully and the OJ is to avoid the unpleasant taste and the acidic aftertaste. At first I experienced heartburn if I took it on an empty stomach but that isn't an issue any more - perhaps because of the reduced dose or the OJ. I am 42 years old and have been a nail-biter for as long as I can remember, so it is amazing to me that I have stopped thanks to a supplement. Read More Read Less

Age: 45-54 | On supplement for less than 1 month |
3/25/2018
Condition: Hearing loss

ENT recommended after exposure to loud noises to prevent tinnitus. Said controversial- seems to help soldiers. No side effects so why not. Mild case of tinnitus went away. Now only periodic.

Tipps | Age: 65-74 | On supplement for less than 1 month |
1/12/2018
Condition:

I have almost constant sinus problems due to narrow passages as part of my anatomy. Most viruses turn into a sinus infection . With the overuse of antibiotics they are not that effective. I tried this product 2 weeks ago 600 ml 2 times a day and within 24 hours the simptoms had reduced . After 5 days the simptoms have gone.

wvb | Age: 65-74 |
1/8/2018
Condition:

used to reduce/eliminate having to go to hospital for breathing treatment at least two times per year. Dose = 1200

2EIZBK | Age: 65-74 | On supplement for 1 to less than 2 years |
1/8/2018
Condition: Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)

STRATED USING THIS SUPPLEMENT FOR TWO YEARS. LAST YEAR I DID NOT EXPERIENCE A FLAREUP OF BREATHING DIFFULCTY

Age: 19-24 | On supplement for less than 1 month |
7/3/2017
Condition: Trichotillomania

NAC (600 mg twice per day plus 100 mg of L-Theanine three times per day) helped stop pulling hair out within two weeks. It did not stop completely but it dramatically decreased which allowed a window for cognitive behavior techniques to work.

Tanya | Age: 55-64 | On supplement for 2 to less than 5 years |
6/28/2017

I took 1200 mg NAC daily to test it out prior to giving it to my father who had Asperger's Syndrome as well as my son who has Asperger's syndrome/Bipolar type 1 (risktaker). In my case NAC reduced the amount of OCD I experienced. (I have a mild case of OCD.) I also noticed an increase in the length of time it took for me to get very angry when deliberately provoked. Because I can only take Tylenol and narcotics for pain relief I had to stop taking NAC since Tylenol and NAC cancel each other out. My father with Asperger's took 1200 mg NAC daily for the last three years of his life. I provided him with NAC so he would continue taking it. What I noticed is the my father was noticeably happier since he no longer had OCD in the form of obsessing about past events ad nauseum and talking about it incessantly while taking NAC. My father's mother also exhibited that behavior. I could not get my son to take NAC. Since he is bipolar type 1 as well as has Asperger's a dose of 2400 mg/day is more in line with his needs. My son also has the form of OCD where he would obsess over past events. Being impulsive this type of OCD can get him into loads of trouble - interpersonally and with the law.Read More Read Less

diane | Age: 65-74 | On supplement for 6 months to less than 1 year |
1/31/2017
Andrej | Age: 35-44 | On supplement for less than 1 month |
12/16/2016
Condition: Respiratory tract infections

Solmucol 200 mg has helped with my flu, but I have a bruising in spite of I am not ware of any reason. It seems N-ACETYL CYSTEINE is the reason.

shinrin yoku | Age: 19-24 | On supplement for 1 to 6 months |
10/7/2016
Condition:

I take it as adjunctive treatment to anxiety/depression and results are great! I chose exercise performance, because it is closest to my anxiety, that I would mysteriously get couple of hours after exercise and nobody knew why. It has been miraculous, it is much better than adding antipsychotic to my antidepressant. I believe I will be able to lower amount of psychiatric medication soon. I take 2000mg a day. Brand used it NOW Foods.

Susan P. | Age: 45-54 | On supplement for 1 to 6 months |
9/22/2016
Condition:

I began taking NAC for peripheral neuropathy and immediately experienced relief from the chronic fatigue and weakness in my legs. This has been a life-changer!

BarbB | Age: 65-74 | On supplement for 6 months to less than 1 year |
8/11/2016

I give 600 mg in a.m. and 600 mg in p.m. to my old dog who has breathing problems and a cough. Works very well. I take the same dosage myself with good results for asthma.

FLandy | Age: 75 or over | On supplement for 1 to less than 2 years |
8/9/2016
Condition: Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)

80 yrs old, COPD 11 yrs. Began NAC 600 mg for 4 months with good results, increased to 1200 mg daily for 16 months with really excellent results. Breathing tests now show actual improvement in functions even at 80. Much less mucus production. Life Extension brand better than two others tried.

wavyhair | Age: 45-54 | On supplement for 1 to 6 months |
7/30/2016
Condition:

After years of trying different drugs for my severe depression, NAC has allowed me to go off almost all of my medication! I recommend it to everyone.