biting pain in belly ceased after using a drink made with natural irish moss aka carrageen.I think it cures stomach ulcers.

I have been an unwitting user of this "treatment," since carrageenan seems to have been slipped into most food products. In terms of its healthfulness, it ranks right up there with cigarettes and asbestos, should be banned, and the public advised of its dangers.

GreedKills | Age: 45-54 | On supplement for 10 years or more |
7/29/2020

I am a lab tech. Labs use carageenan as a laxative in lab animals because it is very irritating to the digestive tract. No surprise that it causes cancer. George Bush gutted the FDA as soon as he was elected and carrageenen soon popped up in dairy products and processed meats.

Otherwise regular | Age: 55-64 | On supplement for less than 1 month |
11/12/2018
Condition: General Health And Wellness

Every time I get crap cramps I have learned to back track and investigate my recent food choices, like almond milk or Coffee Mate both with carrageenan. Nothing else gives me the explosive gut wrenching laxative effect. Could not be more convinced that some innocent poor souls are suffering needlessly. Spread the word. Also this is not treatment so disregard the questionnaire.

11/23/2017

this chemical is banned in most in the EU,Japan,China, Australia. Criminal that it is used in the usa.

Age: 65-74 | On supplement for 10 years or more |
8/16/2016
Condition: General Health And Wellness

I find this article misleading, inaccurate, and disturbing. My opinion of this site for sound information has thus plummeted. Carrageenan is used regularly in lab rats to INDUCE inflammation in order to test medicines and treatments. The comment that it "draws water into the GI tract" is because the BODY is doing it's thing to RID the GI tract of a Harmful Substance and irritant. It is used as an "emulsifier" rampantly in the USA, and should come with Warnings regarding its use. Ridiculous information here. FDA approved means nothing--they are too intertwined with big pharma and major corporations to be believable. Like others here metioned, everytime I used my protein shake mix I became bloated with diarrhea, sometimes it was worse than an intestinal virus. Avoid this food additiveRead More Read Less

Ban Carrageenan Now | Age: 45-54 |
6/12/2016

This article is outrageous. Do your self a favor and Google “MOUSE PAW EDEMA”. A 1987 report by the National Institute of Health reveals it is a laboratory procedure using CARRAGEENAN TO INDUCE INFLAMMATION INTO RATS LIMBS SO THAT “ANTI-INFLAMMATORY DRUGS MAY BE TESTED/DISCOVERED!!!!!! As well, I recently learned about this poison after my 2 year 10 month old cat slowly died over a span of 2 years of simply inflammation. The vet could not explain it! Although I can, due to feeding him canned cat food (Wellness) with Carrageenan everyday. It broke down his intestine with ulcers and created a non-cancerous growth. The vet assumed surgery would fix his problem but the inflammation lead to multiple other physical side effect including retina detachment in his eye and urinary problem that when combined took his life! He had no cancer, no infection, nor any disease. Simply intense inflammation through out his entire body caused by Carrageenan based on the evidence of laboratory use for “MOUSE PAW EDEMA”. You will also find that this “food grade Carrageenan” is not stable, it breaks down into the toxin it really is.Read More Read Less

7/24/2015

Carageean should be banned from all food products,etc. I get stomachaches and diarrhea from it. It's very dangerous and can cause anaphylaxis. Avoid this at all costs.

sandie | Age: 45-54 | On supplement for less than 1 month |
10/30/2014

Age: 55-64 | On supplement for less than 1 month |
10/7/2014

I have to avoid all foods that have Carrageenan in them because it gives me stomach ache and diarrhea. They should not be adding it to our food supply. I have been appalled to even find it in a roasting chicken. It was in the solution they injected it with. Someone needs to do more testing on the safety of Carrageenan being added to our food supply. I have found that I am not the only one that it affects this way.

Age: 75 or over |
6/23/2014

Az | Age: 45-54 |
5/2/2014
Condition: General Health And Wellness

Leaky gut? Bloated? IBS? Diarrhea? Allergies? Web MD got this one all wrong, just read some other reviews that address this ingredient found in our food that has the damaging effects and why this short list only hints. To get back on track it takes a diet of eliminating foods containing even more ingredients poisoning out digestive systems. "It starts with food"

Suz | Age: 45-54 | On supplement for less than 1 month |
4/24/2014

READ the info by Dr Weil...BAD STUFF..Not only bad for the stomach and GI!!! If you have a allergy to Shell Fish or Salt Water Fish "BEWARE BECAUSE YOU CAN BECOME ANAPHYLACTIC FROM CARRAGEENAN!!!! Carrageenan is found in Organic Lunchmeats by Trader Joe's, Applegate farms, Ben & Jerry's Ice Creams, Boost Drinks, It's in yogurt Chocolate milk.. IT'S EVERYWHERE!!

VS | Age: 19-24 | On supplement for 1 to 6 months |
4/15/2014

I quit eating meat back in January. To take care of the protein side of it, I started drinking Special K protein shakes and the store brand kind. About a month ago I realized my stomach was bloated and swollen all day, especially after I ate. I couldn't quite put my finger on what was causing it. Every time I drank the shakes, I would look at the ingredients and this one stood out. I never bothered to look it up or just didn't have my phone near me. Yesterday while looking up why Jason's Deli sandwiches are so unhealthy, I stumbled upon a post that said one of their foods had that ingredient and the side effects. I was flabbergasted, dumbfounded, etc. I have been overdosing my body of this stupid ingredient for 3 months! It is also in the morningstar corndogs! What does one have to do around here to get a decent to-go meal?!?!Read More Read Less

Crystal | Age: 25-34 | On supplement for 1 to less than 2 years |
1/26/2014
Condition: General Health And Wellness

This stuff is horrible! I used to drink a protein shake every morning that contained carrageenan. I started feeling sick and bloated all the time with severe stomach pains. I stumbled across a review on Amazon (for dog treats of all things) that warned dog owners of the dangerous side effects. I started looking into it and found that its in our food as well, and sure enough as soon I removed it from my diet I started to feel better! Stay away from this "natural" ingredient!

Sherri | Age: 45-54 | On supplement for less than 1 month |
12/24/2013
Condition: General Health And Wellness

I am gluten intolerant and got this in my lunchmeat (Hormel Natural Choice Sun-Dried tomato). It caused severe abdominal pain, nausea, gas and bloating. It's taken 3 days to be close to normal.

Iris | Age: 65-74 | On supplement for 1 to 6 months |
11/20/2012
Condition: General Health And Wellness

Switching from milk to drinking a lot of Silk soy milk, which has carrageenan in it, I experienced cramping and non-stop diarrhea for 5 months. I didn't suspect the Silk because I had eaten Tofu without any problem for years. My symptoms started to ease up 2 days after stopping Silk consumption. I sure will be on the look-out for other sources of carrageenan!

7/19/2012

Carrageen causes my large intestine to become extremely inflamed, which is very painful, with burning. The pain, inflammation, and burning only go away after I sleep, which is difficult while in such pain. I have to take narcotics, spread over many hours, since narcotics make me nauseated.

Age: 45-54 |
6/11/2012
Condition: General Health And Wellness

Used Almond Milk for my coffee,(trying to eliminate dairy) and had a severe coughing bout each time I used this product. I am allergic to monosodium glutamate...and found out the carrageenan produces glutamate. Quit this product and can now drink coffee.

Cornucopia Institute | Age: 25-34 |
4/26/2012

Research suggests that the food ingredient carrageenan contains degraded carrageenan, which negatively impacts gastrointestinal health and is recognized as a possible human carcinogen. Yet it is a common ingredient in foods, including organic foods. While it is unlikely that the government will take action to protect our health and remove carrageenan from conventional foods, we do have a chance to see carrageenan removed from certified organic foods. At the end of May, the USDA’s National Organic Standards Board will be voting on whether carrageenan should be removed from the list of approved ingredients in organic foods. If you agree that organic foods should be free from potentially harmful ingredients like carrageenan, please send a comment to the USDA. The more comments they receive, the more likely they are to vote to remove carrageenan (the carrageenan industry will fight tooth and nail to keep it on the list of approved ingredients). An action alert, with instructions for submitting a comment to the USDA, is available at cornucopia.org. https://www.cornucopia.org/tell-the-usda-to-remove-carrageenan-from-organic-foods/Read More Read Less

jane | Age: 19-24 |
2/24/2012

This stuff is toxic. It is in most of your food medicine and toothpaste. It clogs up your intestines and causes malnutrition if you get enough. Read labels and see if it isn't in every ice cream in the grocery store. I developed an allergy to it from being constantly exposed.

GutPain | Age: 45-54 | On supplement for 1 to less than 2 years |
4/28/2011

I have irritable bowel syndrome, and while searching for a treatment, I found out that Carrageenan is used to INDUCE irritable bowel syndrome in lab rats. I wish I knew this 10 years ago, when I was drinking Ensure almost every day, to supplement my diet. Ensure contains Carrageenan. Why would you recommend something for IBS that actually CAUSES IBS?