I was taking a lutein supplement until my doctor set me straight. He told me that lutein is one of three macular pigments, the other two being zeaxanthin and meso-zeaxanthin. He told me that people get AMD by sunlight entering the eye and causing free radicals that over time lead to the disease. The macula pigments are in the surface tissue, and protect the underlying tissue from damage from li...

A friend of mine told me that he is consuming food supplement made in Japan which called Super Lutein. It is the no.1 product in Japan. the company's name..as far as i remember, maybe Naturally Plus. In my opinoin, if the product is from Japan, it must be more quality because of their technologies. Just sharing thank you.

ChuckR | Age: 65-74 | On supplement for 2 to less than 5 years |
4/29/2021
Condition: Age-related macular degeneration (AMD)

Very bad reaction to Ocuvite, containing Lutein. Had to stop taking.

Chrissy | Age: 65-74 | On supplement for 1 to less than 2 years |
6/19/2020
Condition: Age-related macular degeneration (AMD)

I have early signs of AMD. Drusen were expanding closer to my macula. My eye doctor recommended a supplement with lutein and zeaxanthin. I had follow up appointments every 3 months for a year without any increase in the size or number of drusen.

Ruki | Age: 65-74 | On supplement for 2 to less than 5 years |
3/27/2020
Condition:

I'm taking it as a preventive measure. My Father and Aunt had AMD. My vision has always been poor. Cataracts are coming in but not too bad yet. Type 2 Diabetes. At this point my eye exams are positive. I hope at least to slow anything down.

Age: 75 or over | On supplement for 1 to 6 months |
2/22/2019
Condition: Macular degeneration

I am taking Luitein 20mg for 1 month, vision slightly imporved but I developed chronic diarrhea and stoppped this dose.

hrb | Age: 55-64 | On supplement for 2 to less than 5 years |
12/11/2018
Condition: Macular degeneration

I've been taking Bausch + Lomb'S ARED 2 formula regularly for several years. First year or so I used it intermittently and there was slight progression (slowly getting worse) noticed at the following exam. That scared me so I stepped up to the daily use 2x/day recommended. Subsequent check ups had me happy to hear it wasn't getting worse; I maintained the 2x/daily regiment for at least 2-3 yrs without being told there was progression. Unfortunately the last checkup (this week) had the doctor concerned, he determined something a little too complicated to explain here, this was discouraging after it had been slowed for those years with regular use. He stepped up the supplement to ICAPS MV, (2) 2x/day. As far as side effects, I don''t believe I've experienced any over the years I've used it although I started in my 50's and as a very healthy person. The recent progression may be attributed to a couple of life style changes that I'M trying to curb. I've been missing lunch and there's one other change and the general recommendation along with these nutrients is to maximize protein consumption.