Red Yeast Rice works...I started Red Yeast Rice 6-7 years ago to lower my borderline Cholesterol. It worked and lowered my cholesterol for 1-2 years. BUT Warnings about having the same side effects as statins worried me and I stopped RYR and the cholesterol levels increased again. I never started anything else and cholesterol levels stayed up. Further researched proved that all of these statin-li...

Do NOT take Red Yeast Rice. I cannot believe it is on the shelves!? Adverse reaction within 4 hours.

careful consumer | Age: 65-74 | On supplement for 1 to less than 2 years |
12/1/2020
Condition:

I took red yeast rice (half a dose - one 600 mg. tab) Weider brand from Costco, and it brought my LDL cholesterol down a lot - below what the target is. HDL is still good. I take it only 3x a week and will drop down to 2x a week and see how it goes. Seems sensible to take as little as possible. I also take 100 mg. of Quonol CoQ10 every day, as statin ingredients deplete CoQ10 produced by the body. CoQ10 is also a good antioxidant. This brand is absorbed thru water or fat vs. some brands that are only water solubleRead More Read Less

CB | Age: 65-74 | On supplement for 2 to less than 5 years |
4/29/2019
Condition:

. My pcp recommended RYR. She said she had seen dramatic results. 4 yrs ago my total cholesterol was 208, now down to 169. Absolutely believe in this supplement. Now reduced to 600mg once a day.

Gene | Age: 55-64 | On supplement for 2 to less than 5 years |
3/30/2019
Condition:

Brought my numbers down by 60+ points in 5 months or so.

wjbertrand | Age: 65-74 | On supplement for 1 to 6 months |
3/14/2019
Condition: Hypercholesterolemia

My doctor was concerned about putting me on a statin with my total cholesterol at 235, which he considered borderline. I asked him about red rice yeast and he said why not give it a try. That was about 8 weeks ago and I've been taking it (Wieder brand at Costco) for about 5-6 weeks. Today I got my cholesterol results and they have dropped to 175! I've not noticed any side effect so for me this seems a good result

Becca | Age: 65-74 | On supplement for 6 months to less than 1 year |
7/30/2018
Condition:

I had a lot of foot surgery and was able to navigate last summer all through Yellowstone with three grandchildren. My Cholesterol was high so on recommendation of friend that is very happy I took two 600 mg a day for months now. This year the back of my legs freeze up, at times I can't feel my heels so I go backwards. I wasn't aware of no alcohol while on this supplement. One glass of wine and I can hardly stand. I have spent more time elevating my feet so they will work properly again. Just had a throat problem and they put a camera down to my vocal cords and found the muscles not working properly. I stopped now only for a few days...I can navigate steps, do limited squats...my range of voice coming back. Decades ago a number 250 was normal. I think I will take my chances with oatmeal. Could all be in my head but I was seriously thinking Parkinson's.Read More Read Less

Age: 45-54 | On supplement for less than 1 month |
5/22/2018
Condition:

My Dr. told me I had high cholesterol. He wanted to put me on a statin drug. I didn't want to go on that so found Red Yeast Rice. After taking it for a few days I could hardly get up off of the couch. I stopped taking it and immediately felt better. I found out that it works just like a statin so that convinced me to never go on statins. Which is good becuz I'm convinced now that the cholesterol thing is a myth. Read "The Great Cholesterol Myth".

Age: 25-34 | On supplement for 1 to 6 months |
9/23/2017
Condition:

Gave me severe problems in the context of also prescibred antibiotics and omeprazole. Statins carry many risks and rare complications become more likely with reckless prescriptions of multiple medications without consideration of medical background and medical interactions.

Pat | Age: 55-64 | On supplement for 1 to 6 months |
8/5/2017
Condition:

I had terrible side effects taking statin drugs. The red yeast rice 1200 mg per two tablets by Weider bought at Costco has worked miracles in lowering my cholesterol. I highly recommend and tried everything before trying this. If you have problems and side effects I would try red yeast rice tablets.

chillynata505 | Age: 75 or over | On supplement for 1 to less than 2 years |
7/12/2017
Condition:

one year ago my cholesterol was 315 and my LDL was 200. I began taking 1200mg of red yeast rice and have used 3 different brands but the same dosage, my recent lipid profile showed overall cholesterol at 179 and LDL at 114.

Elaine | Age: 65-74 | On supplement for 2 to less than 5 years |
1/21/2017
Condition:

My doctor took me off all vitamins and told to take Red Yeast Rice, folic acid and B-12. Seems to be working for me, my cholesterol is good!

Twyla | Age: 45-54 | On supplement for 2 to less than 5 years |
1/5/2017
Condition:

Has lowered my LDL cholesterol by 45 and kept my good HDL high.

my own doctor | Age: 45-54 |
12/21/2016

went from 240 too 120..it works

Age: 45-54 | On supplement for 2 to less than 5 years |
11/25/2016
Condition: Cardiovascular disease (CVD)
Age: 55-64 | On supplement for 5 to less than 10 years |
4/30/2016
Condition:

I take the now Red Yeast Rice 1200mg TABLETS. No other supplement (even Now's other Red Yeast Rice supplements) did not work for me. I think it is the way the product is packed into a tablet that make it work so well. My readings were well over 300 and statins would only bring it down 10% or so. My reading are now between 190-215. I can only take one tablet a day. Anymore makes (ME) feel weak.

Age: 65-74 | On supplement for 1 to less than 2 years |
4/26/2016
Condition:

My doctor recommended taking Red Yeast Rice supplements over a year ago for high cholesterol. This past four months, she had me increase dose to 2400 mg (4 tablets) daily. Two weeks ago, I had my first severe case of gout (hopefully last). Also, my triglycerides and blood sugar had increased during last lab results to a dangerous level. After reading about causes associated with gout and some comments regarding side effects of Red Yeast Rice supplements, have decided that I would no longer take it.Read More Read Less

nancidee | Age: 65-74 | On supplement for 2 to less than 5 years |
4/14/2016
Condition:

My cholesterol was in the 210-250 range and had been elevated for years, but due to no other issues was never medicated. I've taken RRY and had great success, but initially took 2400 mg a day as recommended. I had locked fingers so stopped. Re-started w/ 1/2 dose (amt recommended by sister's doc) w/CQ10. Cholesterol is now 159 and no side effects. My doc is very happy w/ result.

Yvonne | Age: 55-64 | On supplement for 6 months to less than 1 year |
4/1/2016
Condition:

My cholesterol levels were in the mid 300s and I had a TIA. But since moderating my animal fats slightly, and taking Red Yeast Rice, my flushing, high BP and tiredness have abated to an extent. But this was not the magic pill to solve the problem. It helped. But not without some effort by my own actions.

Age: 65-74 | On supplement for 2 to less than 5 years |
3/28/2016
Condition:

I've been taking red yeast rice for years and it has lowered my cholesterol from 243 to 195. I have no muscle pains because I take ryr with CoQ10. I have read other reviews and it seems that the ones having trouble are not taking ryr with the CoQ10. you can get them in the same pill.

JCPenney | Age: 75 or over | On supplement for 5 to less than 10 years |
12/28/2015
Condition:

600 mg extended red yeast rice dropped wife cholesterol 260 total HDL 85 to 185 HDL 75 in 2 months. So I started 210 HDL 45 dropped within a month to now after 8 years 170 total and HDL 55. Also take daily with CQ10 200 mg. RYR varies in lavostatin and must study up which is best as they vary from .25 to 20 in Lovastatins. Natures Plus, not noted but Core Lab tested

marywel | Age: 55-64 | On supplement for 1 to 6 months |