What is levator ani syndrome?
Sometimes, spasms of a pelvic muscle called the "levator ani" cause pelvic pain. Symptoms you may have:
- Pain is related to sitting
- Pain doesn't seem to be related to bowel movements
- You wake up at night in pain
- Pain usually lasts less than 20 minutes at a time
More Answers On Women's Health
- How can you tell if psychological causes are to blame for chronic pelvic pain?
- What are some available antifungal vaginal creams for vaginal yeast infections?
- How long should you use antifungal vaginal creams for vaginal yeast infections?
- How are oral antifungal medications used to treat vaginal yeast infections?
THIS TOOL DOES NOT PROVIDE MEDICAL ADVICE. It is intended for general informational purposes only and does not address individual circumstances. It is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment and should not be relied on to make decisions about your health. Never ignore professional medical advice in seeking treatment because of something you have read on the WebMD Site. If you think you may have a medical emergency, immediately call your doctor or dial 911.
This tool does not provide medical advice. See additional information.