PREVIOUS QUESTION:

 

NEXT QUESTION:

 

What is mold?

ANSWER

Mold is a type of fungus. These small organisms can be black, white, orange, green, or purple and live almost anywhere indoors and outside. Molds thrive on moisture and reproduce through lightweight spores that travel through the air. You’re exposed to mold every day. They’re usually harmless in small amounts. But when they land on a damp spot in your home, they can start to grow. They release spores that you might breathe in. If you're sensitive to mold and inhale a lot of spores, it could make you sick.

SOURCES:

United States Environmental Protection Agency: "A Brief Guide to Mold, Moisture, and Your Home.''

Rhode Island Department of Heath: ''Some Basic Facts About Mold and Mildew.''

U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission: ''Biological Pollutants in Your Home.''

University of Minnesota Extension: ''Molds - Your Safe Home.''

Reviewed by Sabrina Felson on February 11, 2019

SOURCES:

United States Environmental Protection Agency: "A Brief Guide to Mold, Moisture, and Your Home.''

Rhode Island Department of Heath: ''Some Basic Facts About Mold and Mildew.''

U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission: ''Biological Pollutants in Your Home.''

University of Minnesota Extension: ''Molds - Your Safe Home.''

Reviewed by Sabrina Felson on February 11, 2019

NEXT QUESTION:

Where do molds grow?

WAS THIS ANSWER HELPFUL

"ALEXA, ASK WEBMD"

THIS TOOL DOES NOT PROVIDE MEDICAL ADVICE. It is intended for general informational purposes only and does not address individual circumstances. It is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment and should not be relied on to make decisions about your health. Never ignore professional medical advice in seeking treatment because of something you have read on the WebMD Site. If you think you may have a medical emergency, immediately call your doctor or dial 911.

    This tool does not provide medical advice. See additional information.

    Other Answers On: