You may be able to prevent menstrual cramps.
- Eat a balanced diet that includes plenty of fruits and vegetables and is low in fat. Limit your intake of alcohol, caffeine, salt, and sweets. For more information, see the topic Healthy Eating.
- Begin or maintain a moderate exercise schedule. For more information, see the topic Fitness.
- Reduce stress in your life. Although stress does not cause menstrual cramps, reducing stress can make your symptoms less severe. For more information, see the topic Stress Management.
- Do not smoke or use other tobacco products.
- Try biofeedback or yoga. Both therapies teach relaxation skills.
- Try acupuncture or acupressure.