Noise-induced or age-related
hearing loss can be treated with hearing devices, such as hearing aids. Other
devices can help alert you to sounds around the house like the phone or
doorbell. If hearing aids don't work for you, cochlear implants may be an option.
You also can learn ways to live with reduced hearing,
such as paying attention to people's gestures, facial expressions, posture, and
tone of voice.
In other types of hearing loss, you can treat the
problem that caused the hearing loss. For example, you may remove earwax or
take medicine for an infection to help your hearing come back.
How can you prevent hearing loss?
- Avoid loud noise, such as noise from machines at your
work, power tools, very loud music, and very loud motorcycles.
- Turn down the volume on anything that you listen to through ear buds or headphones, such as mp3 players.
- Wear hearing protection, such as earplugs or earmuffs.
- Avoid putting objects in your ear.
- Blow your nose gently and through both