Pet Allergy Checklist
- Keep pets out of bedrooms. It’s hard, but never let them sleep on the bed. You’ll feel better.
- Reduce clutter. Less stuff makes it easier to clean and get rid of dander.
- Keep your floors bare. Carpeting traps dander.
- Bathe pets regularly. For best results, have someone else do it. A frequent bath can wash away dander.
- Ask a family member to change the litter box or clean an animal's bed. They are dander hotspots.
- Vacuum weekly. Use a vacuum with a HEPA filter that can catch dander.
- Visit with pet-owning friends outside the house. Their clothes will bring in dander. Meet them at a restaurant instead.
- Cover vents with cheesecloth. It can catch dander before it’s blown into the air.
- Use synthetic pillows. Feather pillows can make your symptoms worse.
- Prepare with medication. Take medication before you visit a place with pets.
- Find a fish friend. There’s no such thing as a hypoallergenic dog or cat.
© 2012 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved.