Self-Care During Pregnancy
Self-Care at Home
- Eat small, frequent meals throughout the pregnancy. Eat a common-sense balanced diet. Expect to gain between 25-35 pounds.
- Do not discontinue prescribed medications without consulting a doctor, but also consult with a doctor before taking any nonprescription medications.
- Ginger capsules (available as an over-the-counter option) may help with nausea in pregnancy, sometimes called morning sickness. Talk with a doctor about other options.
- Do not smoke, drink alcohol, or use street drugs.
- Continue to exercise with normal routines unless the doctor advises otherwise; be sure to get adequate water intake for exercise.
- Sexual intercourse is safe and natural during an uncomplicated pregnancy.
WebMD Medical Reference from eMedicineHealth
August 10, 2005
© 2007 WebMD, Inc. All rights reserved.
Pregnancy Week-By-Week Newsletter
Delivered right to your inbox, get pictures and facts on
what to expect each week of your pregnancy.