Skip to content

No Relaxing Around These Hair Products

continued...

One hair stylist was surprised to hear that relaxers have severely burned children. Nicole Cumberlander, owner of Noire Et Blanc Salon and Spa in Cleveland, says she's gone up to 20 minutes with relaxer on her hands and suffered no ill effects.

Still, she thinks "do-it-yourself relaxing" is a bad idea: "I'm a licensed stylist, and I don't even relax my own hair. There's no way you can do it yourself and get good results. ... And take it a step further, dealing with the issue of children."

Vital Information:

  • Parents should take precautions to keep hair relaxers and other potentially dangerous household products away from children, because they can cause chemical burns if eaten or smeared on the skin.
  • If a child does accidentally swallow hair relaxer, call the poison control center and give him milk or water to drink if he is not choking.
  • Scarring can be the ultimate outcome of these chemical burns, and small areas of scar tissue can be surgically removed.

Brush Up on Beauty

URAC: Accredited Health Web Site TRUSTe online privacy certification HONcode Seal AdChoices