Toxins in Nail Polish: A Closer Look continued...
Formaldehyde wasn't detectable in any of the products.
Only two products claiming to be free of all three actually were:
- Color Madnic Luscious nail lacquer
- Zoya professional nail lacquer
Among the products labeled as free of one, two, or three chemicals that fell short:
- Sation 99 base coat
- Sation 99 top coat
- Dare to Wear nail lacquer
- Chelsea 650 Baby's Breath nail lacquer (fast dry)
- Poshe fast dry base coat
- Orly Flagstone Rush nail lacquer
- Nail art striper brush Magenta Glitter
- New York Summer nail color
- Paris Spicy 298 nail lacquer
- Sation 53 Red Pink nail color
No Label, But Toxin-Free
Products without toxin-free labels often were still free of some or all of the chemicals, the researchers found. Of the 13 products that did not have a label, five did not have any of the three chemicals. One was a polish thinner, but the brand was not noted in the report.
The other four were:
- OPI Birthday Babe nail lacquer
- Cali nail polish thinner
- Essie Starter Wife 596 nail lacquer
- Out the Door topcoat
Toxins In Nail Polish: Story Behind the Research
The new report will provide information to the San Francisco Department of Environment's voluntary recognition program for nail salons that choose safer products, Lang says.
That program was created after the city and county of San Francisco passed an ordinance in late 2010.
California has more than 48,000 nail salons.
The California Department of Toxic Substances Control has been collaborating with the Department of Environment.
To be recognized as a safer salon, nail salons must use products free of the toxic trio and other chemicals.