Hairy Cell Leukemia Treatment (PDQ®): Treatment - Patient Information [NCI] - General Information About Hairy Cell Leukemia
Certain factors affect treatment options and prognosis (chance of recovery).
The treatment options may depend on the following:
- The number of hairy (leukemia) cells and healthy blood cells in the blood and bone marrow.
- Whether the spleen is swollen.
- Whether there are symptoms of leukemia, such as infection.
- Whether the leukemia has recurred (come back) after previous treatment.
The prognosis (chance of recovery) depends on the following:
- Whether the hairy cell leukemia does not grow or grows so slowly it does not need treatment.
- Whether the hairy cell leukemia responds to treatment.
Treatment often results in a long-lasting remission (a period during which some or all of the signs and symptoms of the leukemia are gone). If the leukemia returns after it has been in remission, retreatment often causes another remission.