Antineoplastons (PDQ®): Complementary and alternative medicine - Health Professional Information [NCI] - Laboratory / Animal / Preclinical Studies
The same researchers looked at the immunomodulating potential of A10 by examining the inhibition of neutrophil apoptosis induced by A10 in vitro. Neutrophils from 28 breast cancer patients and 28 controls were obtained from blood samples. Urine samples were obtained from the same patients and tested for the presence of A10. Cancer patients had significantly (P < .001) higher levels of neutrophil apoptosis and significantly lower levels of A10. Neutrophil apoptosis was assessed by adding A10 at a dose of 10 µg/mL to the cellular suspensions of 42 breast cancer patients. Nontreated samples were used as controls. A10 was found to significantly inhibit neutrophil apoptosis (P < .0001).
Several analogs of antineoplaston A10 have been synthesized and their antineoplastic activity tested against various cell lines. These include aniline mustard analogs of antineoplaston A10 and Mannich bases of antineoplaston A10.[9,10] These analogs showed improved in vitro antitumor activity over that of antineoplaston A10.
- Burzynski SR, Stolzmann Z, Szopa B, et al.: Antineoplaston A in cancer therapy. (I). Physiol Chem Phys 9 (6): 485-500, 1977.
- Tsuda H: Inhibitory effect of antineoplaston A-10 on breast cancer transplanted to athymic mice and human hepatocellular carcinoma cell lines. The members of Antineoplaston Study Group. Kurume Med J 37 (2): 97-104, 1990.
- Tsuda H, Iemura A, Sata M, et al.: Inhibitory effect of antineoplaston A10 and AS2-1 on human hepatocellular carcinoma. Kurume Med J 43 (2): 137-47, 1996.
- Tsuda H, Sugihara S, Nishida H, et al.: The inhibitory effect of the combination of antineoplaston A-10 injection with a small dose of cis-diamminedichloroplatinum on cell and tumor growth of human hepatocellular carcinoma. Jpn J Cancer Res 83 (5): 527-31, 1992.
- Wood JC, Copland JA, Muldoon TG, et al.: 3-phenylacetylamino-2,6-piperidinedione inhibition of rat Nb2 lymphoma cell mitogenesis. Proc Soc Exp Biol Med 197 (4): 404-8, 1991.
- Lee SS, Mohabbat MO, Burzynski SR: In vitro cancer growth inhibition and animal toxicity studies of antineoplaston A3. Drugs Exp Clin Res 13 (Suppl 1): 13-6, 1987.
- Badria F, Mabed M, Khafagy W, et al.: Potential utility of antineoplaston A-10 levels in breast cancer. Cancer Lett 155 (1): 67-70, 2000.
- Badria F, Mabed M, El-Awadi M, et al.: Immune modulatory potentials of antineoplaston A-10 in breast cancer patients. Cancer Lett 157 (1): 57-63, 2000.
- Choi BG, Kim OY, Chung BH, et al.: Synthesis of antineoplaston A10 analogs as potential antitumor agents. Arch Pharm Res 21 (2): 157-63, 1998.
- Hendry LB, Chu CK, Copland JA, et al.: Antiestrogenic piperidinediones designed prospectively using computer graphics and energy calculations of DNA-ligand complexes. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 48 (5-6): 495-505, 1994.