Read user comments about the side effects, benefits, and effectiveness of purinethol oral.

7/9/2011 5:59:51 PM

Reviewer: 25-34 Female on Treatment for 2 to less than 5 years (Patient)

Comment:
While this drug has helped me with my colitis for the most part, my Dr. did not warn me ahead of time that I cannot come off of it. Also my specialist never told me the birth defects and harm that could happen if I get pregnant. I am 33 and want children and just learned from my main Dr. that if I get pregnant while on th is drug the child willmost likely have severe birth defects. Now I don ... Show Full Comment

12/13/2010 11:02:40 AM

Reviewer: cmg, 35-44 Male on Treatment for 10 years or more (Patient)

Comment:
I have had ulcerative colitis for over 20 years now, and since I started a daily regimen of purinethol my flare ups have subsided. I take asacol two times a day and a multi vitamin and purinethol once daily. i am afraid of the side effects, but the positive lifestyle changes have warranted the possible side effects in the future. with exercise and consistency in taking my meds, i have limited the ... Show Full Comment

8/20/2010 6:59:40 PM

Reviewer: ablelady2002, 45-54 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient)

Comment:
Was on this medication for 2 week for Crohns and was hospitalized with a fever of 103. Ended up with Pancreatitis from this medication. I know this is rare, but please be cautious if you develop a fever, vomiting, aches and lower abdominal pains. Don't waste time, go directly to the ER.

9/17/2009 4:30:37 PM

Reviewer: mh, 35-44 Male on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient)

Comment:
Allergic to sulfasalazine, Colazol/Asacol ineffective in treating steriod dependant UC - tried Purinethol - Massive allergic reaction - 106 fever, spine and joints freezing up in pain, hives, spots on tongue - several doctors unable to diagnose - discontinued drug. In remission on nicotine therapy.

6/8/2009 5:19:45 PM

Reviewer: dj, 35-44 Male on Treatment for 6 months to less than 1 year (Patient)

Comment:
I am on for Colitis which I was diagnosed 3 years ago. Tried other treatments ... they worked on and off. Prednisone still the miracle drug for me - but I have been off of that for 4 months with no issues. I have been on 6MP alone with no other supplements since stopping prednisone - I have no side effects to the drug and I am finally feeling that I again live a normal life.