Read user comments about the side effects, benefits, and effectiveness of Niaspan Extended-Release Oral.

11/18/2007 11:29:16 AM

Reviewer: jimenijac, Male on Treatment for 1 to 6 months (Patient)

Comment:
I have been on it for 1 mo. I take aspirin, the med. then applesauce after a meal. I have no problems except I have experienced a fast heart rate and lightheadedness. Could this be from the Niaspan?

11/17/2007 5:06:53 PM

Reviewer: 35-44 Male on Treatment for 1 to less than 2 years (Patient)

Comment:
I take 1500 mg once a day of the Niaspan, prior to bedtime. In the beginning I used to get flushed and itching. I learned that if I eat 20-30 minutes prior to taking this (nothing spicy) and take 1-2 asprin's/ibrophen ( spelling) no flushing or itching. If I have spicy foods for dinner I make sure I wait 3 hours prior to taking the drug. Cholesterol is doing much much better. I have been t ... Show Full Comment

11/7/2007 2:53:47 AM

Reviewer: 35-44 Female on Treatment for 1 to 6 months (Patient)

Comment:
The medication does what it is supposed to do but the burning itching sensation that i wake up with every night well i can't hardly stand. I have been on med now for several months and is getting worse instead of better. Never had trouble with any of that either until i had beeen on med for 4 months. Ruins my sleep how healthy can that be

10/29/2007 1:38:23 PM

Reviewer: dbail32, 55-64 Male on Treatment for 1 to less than 2 years (Patient)

Comment:
I have been on this med. for over a year and on occasion, I still flush and itch. usually when others are around. Of course when I am rubbing my ankles together and they look at me as if I were on drugs, opps, I am. Overall, this has been ok for me.

10/29/2007 2:58:46 AM

Reviewer: 25-34 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient)

Comment:
The first time I took this drug I itched all over. The itching discontinued after several minutes (maybe the aspirin helped?)Then it didn't occur on subsequent doses...until I forgot to take it for several days. When I began taking it again, I had severe itching and hives the first night which subsided within an hour. We'll see what happens tomorrow...

How to keep flares at bay.
spinal compression fracture