Find Information About:

Drugs & Supplements

Pill Identifier

Pill Identifier

Having trouble identifying your pills?

Get Started
My Medicine

My Medicine

Get Started

WebMD Health Experts and Community

• Second Opinion

Second Opinion

Read expert perspectives on popular health topics.

• Community

Community

Connect with people like you, and get expert guidance on living a healthy life.

Get Answers

Sign up to receive WebMD's award-winning content delivered to your inbox.

Read user comments about the side effects, benefits, and effectiveness of Parnate oral.

8/28/2011 9:08:27 AM

Reviewer: pizzadreamer, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 10 years or more (Patient)

Comment:
Have been on Parnate for 15 years. I do take an exceptionally large dose. No other med has been this effective for this long. The diet is a challenge, but doable. I have not had mania, but it is a side effect in person's with bipolar. Nardil (another MAOI) was more effective, but it's effectiveness didn't last. For me this is a last resort and am grateful something works. Many drug int ... Show Full Comment

4/17/2011 8:18:50 PM

Reviewer: uncleelbie@cox.net, 65-74 Male on Treatment for 10 years or more (Patient)

Comment:
I have been on Parnate for 24 years. It gave me my life back. I tried many anti depressants before my doctor put me on Parnate. In two week I knew I have discovered my fountain of happiness, self control and sanity again.

12/2/2010 5:12:31 PM

Reviewer: psychiatryisascam, 55-64 Male on Treatment for 6 months to less than 1 year (Patient)

Comment:
This drug caused severe mania that has never gone away even though I have been off it for awhile. You have to be severely brainwashed if you think this diet is easy to follow. It is absolutely ridiculous and any psychiatrist who says otherwise is a total liar.

11/24/2010 9:04:40 PM

Reviewer: Pauline, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 10 years or more (Patient)

Comment:
I have been on this medication for 10 year and it works fine for me. It is the only medication that has helped me. Some would work for awhile then stop. I'm on 40mg. a day, I take it all in the A.M. and I do have to have Parnate as the generic did not work for me. Also, I eat almost anything I want and have never had a problem. I read that the food restrictions have been relaxed a it. I ev ... Show Full Comment

11/12/2010 3:40:06 PM

Reviewer: Adam, 25-34 Male on Treatment for 1 to 6 months (Patient)

Comment:
This drug usually does not work except for only on very small subset of patients with atypical depression. it has very poor action, many difficult side effects and does not have a consistent daily action. it is one of the most unpredictable drugs and you will never know what will happen tomorrow effect wise. There are no recent studies because it does not worth it. it just like very dirty drug tha ... Show Full Comment