Read user comments about the side effects, benefits, and effectiveness of Prolastin IV.

Condition: Pulmonary Emphysema associated with Alpha-1-Proteinase Inhibitor Deficiency
4/24/2014 10:43:13 PM

Reviewer: 65-74 Female on Treatment for 2 to less than 5 years (Patient)

Comment:
Was started on this treatment late in the formation of symptoms. Dr. first had me take it 1 time per month and then every 2 weeks. As of the last month I have gone to once a week and am hoping for a much better control.

2/27/2009 2:37:09 PM

Reviewer: tattoocindy, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 2 to less than 5 years (Patient)

Comment:
In have emphysema and I am 50. Theophelline gives me the shakes so I have to take Xanax and clonopin.Anyone use a different med? I talk 200mg 3 times a day and 10mg of steroids,once during the am and then at bed. Haven't gained a pound,cannot eat too muck because it depresses my diaphragm.

1/16/2009 2:47:28 PM

Reviewer: kauaimama, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 5 to less than 10 years (Patient)

Comment:
I have been receiving weekly infusions since 1999 and my PFTs have remained stable with the last one showing a slightly improved condition. Anyone with Alpha 1 should be on this on another proteinese inhibitor. It slows the progression and not on it, the deterioration happens rapidly.

11/26/2008 5:33:04 PM

Reviewer: nobucks, 55-64 Male on Treatment for 10 years or more (Patient)

Comment:
I was diagnosed in 1991 with A1AD and started weekly infusions May of 1992. This augmentation therapy has been a life saver for me. When diagnosed I was told that the disease had progressed so rapidly that I had approximately four years to live. Well, I’m still here and my PFT’s have dropped somewhat, but nothing like they were prior to infusions. Thank God I had a knowledgeable physician.

9/14/2008 6:05:51 AM

Reviewer: Patricia, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 10 years or more (Patient)

Comment:
I have been on Prolastin for nearly 20 years. I have found that my PFT's have declined but only slightly. I know this medicine is not a cure, but for me it has had great benefits. I work full time and do not have to use oxygen via cannula at this point in my life.