Find Information About:

Drugs & Supplements

Pill Identifier

Pill Identifier

Having trouble identifying your pills?

Get Started
My Medicine

My Medicine

Get Started

WebMD Health Experts and Community

• Second Opinion

Second Opinion

Read expert perspectives on popular health topics.

• Community

Community

Connect with people like you, and get expert guidance on living a healthy life.

Get Answers

Sign up to receive WebMD's award-winning content delivered to your inbox.

Read user comments about the side effects, benefits, and effectiveness of quinine oral.

10/26/2008 12:03:34 AM

Reviewer: jbhbkh@aollcom, 65-74 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient)

Comment:
this was prescribed for night leg cramps by my physician now I see that it is not to be used for that purpose. It helped. I only took one capsule two nights in a row.

6/6/2008 4:17:39 PM

Reviewer: ralfian@earthlink.net, 65-74 Male on Treatment for 10 years or more (Patient)

Comment:
I use this (Quinine Sulfate) oral, for leg cramps. I use it only very rarely and I can attest that taking it when a leg cramp is oncoming and worsening, 20 seconds after I take a capsule, leg cramps and symptoms disappear. I am 72 years old. The frequency that I have to take it is less than once every 2 or 3 months.

4/20/2008 6:01:38 AM

Reviewer: Stubborn Mule, 75 or over Male on Treatment for 5 to less than 10 years (Patient)

Comment:
My father-in-law who was in WWII claims he got a condition the doctors refer to as sandfly fever. And, he at 82, uses quinine every time he has a leg cramp. I tell him drink plain water & not just tonic water as he is suffering from dehydration.

3/23/2008 4:39:28 PM

Reviewer: ragdoll, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 10 years or more (Patient)

Comment:
more than 40 years ago my mother took quinine for several years for treatment of severe leg cramps as needed. it worked extremely well for her. as i got older i began to periodically get leg cramps -- the pain was excruciating and so crippling. during one of my regular checkups i told my doctor and he gave me an rx for quinine as needed. it was a miracle that i used myself for many years unt ... Show Full Comment

2/15/2008 3:52:41 PM

Reviewer: sweeper, 65-74 Female (Patient)

Comment:
This is the only thing that will get rid of severe cramps (legs, fingers, chest, toes) when I have them. I don't take quinine unless all else fails. It will almost immediately stop my cramps. I probably don't take five pills a month. I take four different cholesterol drugs which I have to take (heart disease with controlled high cholesterol). Since the FDA took them off the market, I re ... Show Full Comment