Find Information About:

Drugs & Supplements

Pill Identifier

Pill Identifier

Having trouble identifying your pills?

Get Started
My Medicine

My Medicine

Get Started

WebMD Health Experts and Community

• Second Opinion

Second Opinion

Read expert perspectives on popular health topics.

• Community

Community

Connect with people like you, and get expert guidance on living a healthy life.

Get Answers

Sign up to receive WebMD's award-winning content delivered to your inbox.

Read user comments about the side effects, benefits, and effectiveness of Ambien oral.

3/6/2008 9:24:09 AM

Reviewer: PatrickDugan, 25-34 Male on Treatment for 1 to 6 months (Patient)

Comment:
I find myself hearing voices and seeing "littel" people. i also find myself waking up with things by me and my family members asking me if I remember anything about last nite. The pill works, I fall asleep fast. When i wake up the next morning I go outside to smoke I caqn hear neverthing around but what is around me.

3/5/2008 3:46:38 PM

Reviewer: pcake726, 45-54 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient)

Comment:
I awoke to disturbing feelings mentally. I felt confused, "unreal", could not concentrate, and began to feel jittery. I had to call my doctor and stop the medication. The side effects remained far longer than I would have thought. I would never recommend this medication after these disconcerting side effects. They frightened me badly.

3/2/2008 1:04:34 AM

Reviewer: thoughtplum, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 1 to 6 months (Patient)

Comment:
I go between Lunesta and Ambien depending of when I go to bed and when I need to get up. I sleep less with Ambien and it takes effect on me within 14 minutes. I use it when I go to bed later and need to get up rested earlier (4-5 hours). Lunesta takes effect within about 26 minutes. I use this when I go to bed earlier and can sleep later (5-6 hours). Love them both for a good night's rest ... Show Full Comment

2/27/2008 8:14:11 PM

Reviewer: KT, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 1 to less than 2 years (Patient)

Comment:
I've taken Ambien for 1 1/2 years. Can not sleep without it, but it takes me 2-3 hours to fall asleep with it. I have odd dreams. I wake up in the morning to find that I have called people (my mother in law called me once to check on me because she didn't think I would remember talking to her) emailed people and shopped online. I have no idea I'm doing these things until I check my ... Show Full Comment

2/27/2008 12:26:28 PM

Reviewer: joan, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 5 to less than 10 years (Patient)

Comment:
Using Ambien CR has really helped getting to sleep and staying asleep, but when I tried not taking the pill and used melatonin one night instead, I was positively awake the entire night. I would say it is highly addictive, since the choice of taking the pill and sleeping versus not taking and not sleeping (how many days would the "rebound effect" last?) is an issue I'm faced with. ... Show Full Comment