Skip to content

    Eye Health Center

    Font Size

    Eye Doctors: Optometrists and Ophthalmologists

    There are two main types of eye doctors: ophthalmologists and optometrists. Confused about which is which and who does what? Here's an outline of the differences between eye doctors.

    Ophthalmologist: Total Eye Care

    Ophthalmologists are physicians. They went to medical school. After medical school, they had a one-year internship and a residency of three or more years.

    Ophthalmologists offer complete eye care services. These include:

    • Medical eye care -- for conditions such as glaucoma, iritis, and chemical burns
    • Diagnosis and treatment of eye conditions related to other diseases, such as diabetes or arthritis

    Optometrist (OD): Vision Care and Eye Care Services

    Optometrists are medical professionals but not physicians who went to medical school. After college, they spent four years in a professional program and got a doctor of optometry degree. Some optometrists undergo additional clinical training after optometry school. They focus on regular vision care and prescribe eyeglasses and contacts. They:

    • Provide low vision aids and vision therapy
    • Prescribe medications for certain eye conditions (in some states)
    • Participate in pre- or post-operative care for people who need surgery

    Optometrists and ophthalmologists may work together to take care of you.

    Optician: Eyeglasses and Contact Lenses

    Opticians are not eye doctors and cannot give eye exams. They get a one- or two-year degree, certificate, or diploma. They fill the prescription that your eye doctor gives you. They:

    • Evaluate lens prescriptions
    • Take facial measurements
    • Help decide which type of lenses and frame will work best

    Choosing an Eye Doctor

    When it comes to eye doctors, one type is not automatically better than the other. The right choice depends on your needs. The best eye doctor for you should:

    • Be recommended by your doctor, friends, or family
    • Be appropriate to your vision problems; if you need routine eyeglass/contact lens care you have many choices. If you have a specific medical eye condition, you may want to choose an ophthalmologist.
    • Be someone you like and trust

    WebMD Medical Reference

    Reviewed by Alan Kozarsky, MD on October 03, 2015

    Today on WebMD

    Woman holding tissue to reddened eye
    Learn about causes, symptoms, and treatments.
    Simple annoyance or the sign of a problem?
    red eyes
    Symptoms, triggers, and treatments.
    blue eye with contact lens
    Tips for wearing and caring.
    Understanding Stye
    human eye
    eye exam timing
    vision test
    is vision correction surgery for you
    high tech contacts
    eye drop