To prepare for your appointment, see the topic Making the Most of Your Appointment.
You can help your doctor diagnose and treat your condition by being prepared to answer the following questions:
- What are your main symptoms? How long have you had your symptoms?
- What type of substance was splashed into your eye? How and when did it happen? Take the container with you.
- How and when did the heat (thermal) burn occur?
- How and when did the ultraviolet (UV) light burn occur?
- Do you wear glasses or contacts? Did you remove your contact lens? Has the injury affected your vision (as corrected with glasses or contacts)?
- What kind of vision changes are you having (not related to removing your eye glasses or contact lenses)?
- What home treatment have you tried? Did you flush your eye with water for 30 minutes as a first aid measure? Did it help?
- What prescription and nonprescription medicines have you used? Did they help?
- Do you have any health risks?