Broken Elbow Treatment
1. Reduce Swelling
- If bone is pushing through skin, do not touch it or try to put it back in place.
2. Immobilize the Elbow
For less serious injuries:
- Cut away the sleeve if it cannot be removed without moving the injured elbow.
- If you can without moving the elbow, tie splints on with fabric or elastic bandages above and below the elbow.
- Cardboard, rolled-up newspaper, or other stiff material can be used as splints.
- Put padding between the splints and the bony parts of the arm.
- Make a sling and place the person's arm in it. Tie the sling around the person's neck.
3. See a Health Care Provider Immediately
4. Follow Up
- The health care provider will likely take X-rays and check for feeling and range of motion to determine whether there has been nerve or tendon damage.
- Surgery may be needed for more complicated fractures.